Summer is here and it is incredibly hot. With the weather over 30°C, majority of us will be dressed in shorts, singlets or dresses. If you are in need for new denim shorts for the summer but can’t buy new ones from the stores, here is a very easy DIY to make your own shorts out of old jeans or shorts.
In this DIY you will need:
I bought these jeans from a $5 sale. Sorry about the blurry picture, it’s hard to focus on things while using a self timer.
Let’s get started….
1. Fold your jeans or shorts in half and mark where you want to cut. Then cut.
2. Put the “leg part” aside and cut more until you reach your desired length. The cutting doesn’t have to be perfect
3. Fray the edges by gently cutting the edges. Make sure you do it gently and carefully or else you will cut your shorts and we don’t want that to happen.
4. Now it’s time to create cuts into the shorts to create a distressed look. I only made a few rips on one side of the shorts. Cut slits into the shorts (shown below). Don’t make them too big or long
Then, holding the scissors like then (shown below) fray the edges of the slit by moving it back and forth against the denim. You can make “grazes” on the denim also by using this technique. BE VERY CAREFUL as you can cut yourself very easily. You can also use your fingers to pull on the white threads to create a frayed look.
5. Once you have achieved the distressed look that you want, you’re DONE!
I love how these shorts turned out. They fit really well, they are so comfortable and perfect for summer. I only spent $5 on these shorts rather than $50 on shorts that look the same as these.
I hope you enjoyed this DIY!
Please comment, subscribe and share x
I hope you are all enjoying this great summer weather!
xx Julia Donnarie