Is anyone else in love with the show Carrie Diaries? I am and since the first episode was released, I was hooked. If any of you don’t know what Carrie Diaries is, it is a TV series that is a prequel to Sex and the City. The series follows Carrie Bradshaw’s life as a teenager and how she became New York’s best selling writer.
In the show, Carrie’s bag (which used to be her mums) get’s “ruined” after her sister Dorrit spilled nail polish all over it. Instead of throwing the bag away, Carrie used her other nail polishes to decorate her bag and make it her own. This idea gave me the inspiration to try and recreate the Carrie Bag look. I was too scared to try and do it on my own bag so I thought it would be easier to do it on my phone case plus i have wanted a new phone case for a while now. This DIY is super easy, fun and will save you a lot of money from buying a $20-$30 phone case.
This is what you will need:
Let’s get started….
1. Lay the news paper over the desk because this DIY can get a bit messy 😛 Start with the white nail polish. To get the splatter effect simply load the nail polish brush with heaps of nail polish and flick your wrist forwards and back and side to side over the phone case.
2. Now with the green nail polish do the same thing with flicking wrist thing. I found that more runny nail polishes were so much easier to create the splatter effect rather than a more thick nail polish. The brand I got for the green and pink nail polishes were really good for this DIY (Sinful Colours – $4 from Kmart)
3. Once again create a splattered look with the red nail polish
4. And finally with the pink nail polish
5. Add more splatters if you wish of any colour. It should look something like this. Leave this to dry for 40 minutes
6. Once the nail polish is dry (it doesn’t have have to be completely dry). Use a thin paint brush or the actual nail polish brush and pink nail polish to paint a heart in the corner of the case. I decided to paint a heart because it is practically impossible for me to paint my name as well as Carrie 😛
7. You may need to paint a few layers to get a nice solid colour
8. Use a cotton tip dipped in acetone/nail polish remover and tidy up the heart, to make it look more clean.
9. Wait for all the nail polish to dry. It it very important to seal the nail polish so that the nail polish doesn’t rub off. You can either use nail polish top coat or a clear sealing spray. With the spray, shake the can and then spray a light coat over the phone case.
11. Leave to dry overnight
12. And you’re finished!
Now you have your very own Carrie Diaries inspired phone case! Feel free to use other colours to make it suit your personality. This tutorial gives you a phone case no one in the world will have
Good Luck and enjoy!
Don’t forget to comment and share 😛
xx Julia Donnarie