I am no beauty guru nor do I think I’m super great at it, but I do love makeup. I love the way makeup can completely change the way you look and feel. It’s fun to play around with different products and colours creating various looks. I often find myself just sitting in front of my mirror experimenting different looks (lame, i know). I do stress the fact that you don’t need make up to feel beautiful and do not feel the need to wear make up because ‘everyone else does.. You are all beautiful and makeup is simply a way just to enhance what you already have.
In this post, I’m just going to show you my favourite beauty products. I mostly buy drugstore brands because the price is more affordable but it still works really well. Drugstore makeup is great if you are just starting or experimenting because you can try more products without breaking your wallet. Once you have found the products and colours that works best for you, go ahead and buy more high end stuff. Here are also some tips and tricks I have picked up. Note I don’t wear makeup everyday, I only wear it on the weekends or days when I’m not at school. Just a reminder, I am no makeup expert, just a teenager who loves makeup.
1. Maybeline FitME Shine Free Foundation Stick (Shade 310): This is one of my favourite foundations. It is super easy to apply and perfect for on the go. It provides lightweight coverage creating a lovely natural, matte look. I personally love this foundation stick because it has a great creamy texture making it very easy to build upon and to blend into you skin. I use my fingers or my kabuki brush to buff it into my skin. Although if you are looking for foundation that has a heavy coverage, I recommend that you don’t use this product. Otherwise, it’s great, easy and I love it.
2. Maybeline Terra Sun Bronzer: This bronzer is gives that natural lightweight bronzed look. To be honest I only bought this product because i just wanted an affordable bronzer. I stayed away from it because I thought it was too sheer until I accidentally broke/cracked it. Turns out, I love it more as a loose powder rather than its original pressed powerder form. It is more pigmented and you get more product onto your brush. Affordable, pigmented and gives a lovely bronzed look, this is perfect for everyday use.
3. Benetint by Benefit: This cheek and lip stain brings a very natural pink glow to your cheeks. It is easy and in result you will create a foolproof rosy cheek look.
Tips and Tricks
- When finding a shade of foundation, test out 3 shades on you jaw line to see which one disappears into you neck. The one that does is the shade for you.
- Use bronzer under your cheek bones, on your jaw and on the sides of your temples
1. Lasting FInish Matte by Kate Moss (Rimmel): I love love love these matte lipsticks. I give it a 10/10 for pigmentation and opacity. I have shade 107, 106 and 112 but 107 is my favorite. Application is quite smooth and silky unlike other matte lipsticks but you must remember to always moisturize your lips for the best results. A downside is its gritty texture, but that doesn’t bother me much. Overall I fully recommend this lipstick, for a drugstore product it is probably the same quality as some high end stuff for about 1/4 of the price.
2. Yves Saint Laurent Rogue Pur Couture: This lipstick is beautiful creating a smooth, glossy finish. I like it’s creamy texture and how it very easily glides onto you lips. This lipstick lasts all day and my go to red colour. Oh, I also love the packaging. Look how pretty it is!
3. EOS Lipbalm: I know these lip balms are probably over hyped but i genuinely love EOS. It moisturizes my lips perfectly and it smells amazing. A downside is its shape. It is quite difficult to put one these into your pockets of cosmetic bags.
Tips and Tricks:
- Always moisturize (and if you can exfoliate) your lips before application. The lipstick will work better with your lips
- Apply lip liner all over your lips before lipstick. This will make it last longer and the colour will be more opaque
- Shy away from nudes and go for more bold shades. I love reds and deep pinks the best.
- Use some concealer on a small brush to hide any mistakes.
1. Maybeline MasterPrecise Liquid Eyeliner: Even If i am not wearing any makeup I will always have my winged liner on. This product is seriously everything to me (too cheesy?) If I had to pick only one product to use, it would be this one. It is super easy to achieve the winged eyeliner look using a felt tip/marker style eyeliner. I just love this product a lot. (to see a tutorial using this product; click here)
2. NYX Love in Paris Eyeshadow Palette (A La Mode): I am a big fan of dark shades for the eyes. . This palette includes all the colours that I love using. It is a combination of black and brown tones and also a combination between matte and shimmery shadows. It is very affordable and is quite pigmented
3. Benefit They’re Real Mascara: If you want huge, volumous eyelashes, this is the product for you. The name ‘They’re Real’ holds true because your eyelashes will truly look as long and voluminous as fake lashes. I don’t use this on a day to day basis because sometimes the false eyelash look can be too much. I love how well the product works and the way they make your eyelashes look.
4. Maybeline Great Lash Mascara: This mascara is great to great full and long lashes. the effect isn’t as dramatic as the benefit one but this is more suitable for day to day to day use. Any Maybeline mascara is one of the best, in my opinion.
5. Maybeline MasterSmoke Eyeliner; This product is perfect to create a quick smokey look. The texture is smooth and creamy and it is easily applied. It comes with a sponge-thing that is use to ‘smoke’ the eyeliner out. I like to have this smoky liner along my top lash line.
Tips and Tricks:
- For a winged eyeliner look, stick tape in line of your bottom lash line. This will create a very neat and crisp look.
- The basic eye shadow pattern: light shade on the lid, medium shade on crease and a dark shade in the outer corner (V) of your eye.
- Take a white eye pencil and line your waterline to make your eyes pop
- Having black liner outlining your entire eye, this will make it appear more closed up. For bigger eyes, use liner only halfway on your bottom and top lash line or only use liner on the top lash line.
I hope you enjoyed this post and found it somewhat helpful. All these products can be found at your local cosmetic/drug stores or (for the more high-end products) at high end stores. If you have any suggestions for products I should try, comment below.
Have a wonderful day! Don’t forget to subscribe, comment and share.
xx Julia Donnarie